Friday, June 8, 2007

Going Back to Week 1 - The first two Things

Well, I actually never commented on the first two things, and I certainly don't want to get through all this and find out that I can't get that little MP3 player because I messed up in my very first week or so, so here goes on Thing #1 and Thing #2. (Why do I keep thinking of Dr. Seuss whenever I refer to these various Things? Ah, the Cat in the Hat...)


When I first read about the Maryland Libraries Learning 2.0, I thought the program might be daunting, but now that I'm working on it, I'm really glad that I have this opportunity to stretch and work my way through these tasks. I think they look pretty do-able, even if I've never held a digital camera before or done a Podcast. Well, at least I've listened to Podcasts before, so I know what they are. This all kind of blends in with my lifelong learning stuff, because I have always felt that education all of one's life is essential to being alive. So this is my opportunity to learn about all of the stuff my kids already know about and to use these applications for myself. They might even make life easier for me.

This program will extend what I learned in a very good class at the University of Maryland on technology in libraries, by giving me practical, hands-on experience. In my everyday life, I have even found myself reading the "Circuits" section of the New York Times and actually understanding what is being written. For example, yesterday, I read an article about the shift of television from analog to digital - with the big change to occur on Feb. 17, 2009. So unless I get a converter or subscribe to cable, I may be in trouble, along with lots of other people in this country. But the point it, I understood what the issue was. Whoo, whoo for me.

If you'd like to read that article, here it is below:

Converters Signal a New Era for TVs

No comments: